"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (John 5:39)

March 22, 2006

I will lay down my life!

For those who wish to be more humble and reliant on Christ, be careful what you pray for. Isnt it great how in the darkness of times Christ uses to speak the clearest and loudest to us. Isnt it sad that we need the darkest of times before we listen to Christ speak. Like so many things the Lord provides it can be the most humbling and joyful. Let us instead of boldly going and trusting in self let us pray first for His will and understanding. May he reveal His truths and press in our hearts that we may trust Him.

Extra Credit: I usually add something here from another more learned author relating to that days topic. Today we have an original from my own ignorance on God Willing. Please take a second and read and may God bless it to your heart.

Jhn 13:36 Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.
Jhn 13:37 Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake.
Jhn 13:38 Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.


- What was wrong on the surface with what Peter said?

Oh how we are apt to think most highly of ourselves. Of our own wisdom, love, morals, and courage. With no or little resistance to our beliefs we puff ourselves up as martyrs and are proud of our isolation. In the smallest trials or when things are generally well we almost brag of our trust and ability to have faith that the Lord will provide. It seems that the longer we find ourselves without troubles the stronger our faith grows in ourselves. Let us be thankful that God breaks our spirit and fills us with His. In time He will destroy our self-sufficientancy and boasting. He will humble us and decrease our reliance on self and increase our dependence on Him. To say in our will and confidence, I will follow and trust that you will provide means nothing without the Spirit first giving us faith and showing us the way. Oh the ignorance that so many proudly hold to. If not for the Lord giving us the Faith to follow we would surly without hesitation deny Him more than thrice. It may not be all verbal and outright rejection but fear and self reliance is just the same as denying that He is in control. Dear reader let go, understand that our strength is not in ourselves but in Him. Lean on Him and rest assured if you try to stand on your own to long He will bring you back to His bosom. He will be glorified in all things, He must increase, but I must decrease. This faith, lesson, and decrease sometimes comes as a bitter pill or in the most painful experiences and troubles but it is medicine we should receive gladly for in it we are healed and grow. Let us not only say we are thankful He provides but let us thank Him for revealing to us through misery and pain that He is in control.