"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (John 5:39)

January 26, 2005

was blind, now I see

It is the time of the service when we raise our voices and sing praise. The body of today’s text is from a familiar hymn. If you pause, listen, or read there is a lot of gospel that can be found outside of tradition commentaries and in the pages of many old hymnals. I pray we do more than just sing the words but feel His words.

Extra credit reading: The rest of today’s commentary is indirectly by a brother, in Christ, from Virginia John Roden. This and today’s bonus article ”Pharaoh – Saul of Tarsus” were both taken as exerts from his book The Sovereign Grace of God in Salvation’.

Jhn 9:24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.
Jhn 9:25 He answered and said, whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.


Discussion forum : What did they mean ‘give God the praise’?

Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now I am found, was blind but now I see.
Twas grace that thought my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares, I have already come;
'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.
The Lord has promised good to me, his word my hope secures;
he will my shield and portion be, as long as life endures.
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil, a life of joy and peace.
When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first begun.
(John Newton 1725-1807)

“Many could easily recite the first verse of this hymn. But do most of those who are familiar with “Amazing Grace” really understand the meaning of the Grace of God, and are they actually experiencing the power of it in their lives? Have they as John Newton, seen themselves to be “wretched”, “blind”, and “lost”? Can they truthfully say that it has been their experience, “I once was lost, but now I am found; was blind but now I see.” By John Roden