"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (John 5:39)

September 04, 2012

Gifts From Heaven - Jhn 3:27-30

Jhn 3:27-30 (27) John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. (28) Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. (29) He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. (30) He must increase, but I must decrease.

What can man receive on his own?

Although verse 27 by its self may trumpet the doctrines of total depravity and strip away any thoughts or hopes that we can except or come to God on our own; I see these verses in the context of those that precede it as a personal message of humility.  It is beautiful to see how John conducts himself and responds on this occasion.  Going back to Nicodemus we saw a proclaimed religious man faced with the truth but remaining ignorant.  We see many read and hear but not know the truth and many more stumble over doctrines such as election.  What we know, truly is by the revelation of God.  To reveal these mysteries to babes and realize  that the light to a few is darkness to others is a constant reminder of His grace.  But let not those who are called of the Spirit puff yourselves up.  For remember first that it is nothing we did.  As others who are lost may look at the gospel as one of exclusion we must see it rather as one of inclusion.  For how else would God save a sinner like me.  It is not a message that keeps people out, but a message of hope of the only means of letting anyone in.  “For who maketh thee to differ from another?  And what hast thou that thou didst not receive?  Now if thou didst receive it, why didst thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?”  (I Cor 4:7).  Let us give thanks and rejoice in the bridegroom’s voice at the same time remaining humble in God’s restraining grace and making know the mysteries of His mercy.  (I Cor 1:26, 2:7)